Name that Coot!

Finally got down to the reservoir this morning in some good light and managed to get a better view of the colour-ringed Coot. Last week the weather was miserable and I couldn't make out if there was another colour ring on the leg but I learned on Saturday that there should have been so today I had to find out!
A few Coot were out on the dam wall I could see that one of them was the target bird. What I'd thought last week was a metal ring was in fact purple on top of blue and the metal ring was on the other leg under the yellow ring - need my eyes testing! Just goes to show how bad the light was last week. Hopefully I'll get an answer to where the bird was ringed now (probably Southport).

The Grebes were displaying - in fact there are four birds on the reservoir now so they're starting to return along with four Oystercatchers and 14 Curlews.

The wood is coming alive with bird song: 'the' Nuthatch was calling away and Great Spotted Woodpeckers were drumming.Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush were giving it plenty and several Tits were singing.
Collared Dove
After lunch, Bernie and I took a walk around Calf Hey reservoir on Haslingden Grane. Redpolls called overhead as we parked the car and a couple of Crossbills flew over calling as we headed down to the reservoir. The reservoir itself didn't hold much - the water level is very low so just a few Goosander, Teal and Goldeneye were present. Looks like the weather will return to wet and windy for the rest of the week after the brief cold spell.

Comments