Blacktoft Sands and some more garden ringing

After the washout last weekend, this week has given me some opportunities to do some birding and ringing. Ringing with Mark firstly at his place on Wednesday afternoon when we trapped several Siskins and Redpolls amongst the plethera of Great Tits, and then on Saturday morning at mine where we got a juvenile Treecreeper in the first round. I think I'll be doing some more Sand Martins this week - all helping in my training. the examination of moult on many of the birds was very interesting and I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it!

On Thursday I was working in East Yorkshire so I called in at Blacktoft on the way to see the Marsh Sandpiper that had been in residence. It was asleep virtually the whole time but eventually popped its head up a couple of times. Twelve Spotted Redshanks including a very black one were really appreciated and the supporting cast of Ruff, Green Sandpiper, Little Egret, Bearded Tit and Garganey made for a very productive hour.

I should've taken the camera! Doh!

Comments