Short-toed Lark - a Lancashire first

It may not have the mega-rarity or even moderately rare status but in the north-west, Short-toed Larks are extremely rare and one found at Fleetwood Marsh NP yesterday was a first for Lancashire. I had got the news last night but couldn't get there so there was anxious wait for news this-morning. I'd just about given up hope when the alarm bells rang. I made up the forty or so miles in pretty good time!

The bird gave really good scope views but was too far off for decent images (I really should try digiscoping again). Anyway, here are some record shots.

There has been a previous report of this species in the May 76's from Marshside when I was a youthful starter at birding. I wish I could recall more details as the bird caused some controversy. Anyway, that was then, this is now on my Lancashire list.

And there was more on the way home in the shape of a Wood Sandpiper and singing male Pied Flycatcher in Bowland.

Comments