A grand day out!

I was up early to do some breeding bird work in Yorkshire this-morning - a fine day was forecast and so it turned out. It's nice to see lots of Yellowhammers and Tree Sparrrows on the site and a couple of pairs of Grey Partridge were also welcome. No sign of any visitors yet apart from a Chiffchaff in a nearby copse.
Tree Sparrow
The Hares were still bounding around the fields 'madly', giving the poor female the run-around and I had several encounters with Roe Deer. The sound of Skylarks started to fill the air as it warmed up and Lapwings were 'pee-wit' ing in several fields.

Once completed, I headed for home via North Duffield Carrs where there had been some Cranes recently. It's the first time I've visited this place and it won't be the last if my short stay there was anything to go by. No Cranes unfortunately but loads of duck - Teal, Pintail, Wigeon, Gadwall and Shoveler all on the flooded meadows being spooked occasionally by a female Sparrowhawk and a rather large Peregrine. A Barn Owl floated in front of the hide but the camera wasn't primed for that one more's the shame.

There were yet more Tree Sparrows and Reed Buntings on the feeders next to the hide and Mute, Whooper and Black Swans flying around. All topped off with a Great Grey Shrike at nearby Skipwith Common.

Back home and I was delighted to see four Lesser Redpolls on the feeders along with a couple of female Siskins and yet more Goldfinches and Chaffinches - very few birds had rings on and none of the Redpolls were ringed. I had received news that another Redpoll that had been ringed in the garden on Friday had been controlled by Pete Marsh at Thrushgill yesterday! How good is that? I know that the Arctic Redpoll that's been there must have been here at some point :)

Lesser Redpolls
Anyway - a few butterflies are around. I can't remember seeing a Comma before in my garden but one was getting some rays on the laurel. A Brimstone in Yorkshire was nice as well.

Comma

Comments