Early morning Diver

Buoyed by the Common Scoter the previous morning, I paid an early visit to Rishton Reservoir again in the hope that there wouldn't be any disturbance. The morning was very dull and overcast with a low cloud-base and mist. There must have been at least five Robins singing in the woods as I made my way to the promenade.
A bird was flying around - I thought it looked like one of the grebes until I got my bins on it - Red-throated Diver! I couldn't believe my luck - "Now come down" I thought to myself. And it did. A moulting adult with the remnants of a red throat patch. It fished actively in front of me though it was mobbed by a couple of Black-headed Gulls - how I wished I'd brought my camera for a record shot. I hadn't bothered as the light was so poor and birds are generally too far off fo a decent image anyway.
I was surprised to find the drake Common Scoter still present and a large flock of Swallows heading south-west was another sign of the change of seasons.
I decided that Billy wouldn't forgive me if I didn't get a record shot and though I'd texted a few people, no-one had come so I dashed back home, grabbed the camera and got back fifteen minutes later only to find the bird circling over the reservoir - some dog-walkers were walking on the dam side where it favoured and had flushed it - it flew higher and higher as it circled the reservoir and then disappeared in the cloud. Anyway - I got a flight shot!

I quickly checked Parsonage Reservoir but it hadn't dropped in there - just a Wigeon and a Tufted Duck were of note.
Back at home there were plenty of birdsin the garden - up to 30 House Sparrows was by far the most I've seen in ages here. At least 15 Goldfinches were at the feeders whilst Goldcrest and my third ever Trecreeper were 'down the dip'. The Grey Wagtail was on the stream at the bottom of the garden but I couldn't see if it was one of the birds we ringed last winter.

Comments