Local breeding successes

Surprisingly, it was a lovely morning and so I thought I'd check out some spots to augment the breeding status of the birds in my area. At Rishton Reservoir, I was delighted to see that there were no fishermen on the far bank and that the Great-crested Grebes were actively feeding two youngsters. A common Sandpiper bobbed along the shoreline but there was no sign of the LRP's.
A couple of juvenile Black-headed Gulls, just out of either Belmont ot Stocks in all probability, were loafing with several adults and the non-breeding/unsuccessful breeding Canada Goose flock numbered 40. The chacking to the right of the promenade led me to a couple of young Blackcaps and Bullfinches were repeatedly collecting food and returning to a nest site.
I worked my way down to what I call Whitebirk Marsh - a rush and reed filled damp area between the Leeds Liverpool Canal and the industrial estate. No sooner had I arrived than I put up a Sedge Warbler from what I suspected was a nest site. A male was in full song nearby. A little further down there were three more and then the Grasshopper Warbler sprang into life - couldn't see it of course as it was in a field on the opposite side of the canal. Willow Warblers, Whitethroats and Blackcaps were all singing and a few Brown Hawkers buzzed the area.
Back home, the feeders were busy with the local Tit population. A flock of 15 House Sparrows flew puposefully over the garden - my resident ten or so was still in situ, so quite a good record. The Jays are calling regularly now and the Sparrowhawk is a regular visitor.
Anyway - time to get the barbie out - before the rain comes!

Comments