Local birding

Following Bill's sightings of an Iceland Gull at Fishmoor, I decided to head there after I'd checked the football pitches for the weekend games. I arrived about 4pm an already there were a huge number of gulls on the reservoir and on eth roof of Walkersteel. Soon after setting up my scope in the lee of the car, I picked up an adult Yellow-legged gull in amonst the Herring and Lesser Black-backs. These quickly moved onto the roof but more birds were streaming in. In the half hour I was there I estimated that there were around 10,000 gulls in the area with over 6,000 Black-headed's, 2,500 Herring as well as hundreds of Common and Lesser Black-backed Gulls. There were around 50 Greater Black-backs as well.
It was getting rather dim when I picked out an Iceland Gull - a first winter - looking pinky in the receding light with a full dark bill. Elated at that, I decided to call it a day.
On Sunday, it was back to Atlas work. My second square is around Hoddlesden - nothing much to report though I heard a Raven and had a Nuthatch in the Woodland - a bird I'd hoped to find. There were plenty of Goldcrests and Long-tailed Tits in evidence but little else.

Comments