It's about time I uploaded something!

After a busy year in 2007 I think it's time to add something to the blog I started before my Peruvian trip in 2006. So let's start with some lovely local birds.
East Lancashire has certainly done well for Great Grey Shrikes this winter and though I've not manageed to get any images, I've at least managed to see all three! A Slavonian Grebe has taken up residence on nearby Barrow Lodge, making a nice diversion on the way to Clitheroe.

I've started on the BTO survey work for the new nationwide Atlas (if you're a birder, you really should do at least one tetrad a year). Local Dippers and Kingfishers were certainly a highlight as well as the good numbers of Siskins this winter.

My garden has certainly been attracting all sorts of finches - Chaffich, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch (up to 4), Siskin, Redpoll but still no sign of adding that elusive Brambling to the garden list. Great Spotted Woodpeckers and Jays visit daily as do the local Sparrowhawks.

A trip to Burnley town centre today enabled me to pick up Waxwing for the year - always a delight to see these birds and hear their subtle trilling call.


I may get out again tomorrow!

Comments