Time for a bit of a catch up

The weather has put paid to a lot of birding related activities recently. I've managed one Sand Martin ringing evening with Richard on the Lune and that's the only one we've managed. The heavy rain of the last week resulted in rivers way above their normal levels - Lune and Ribble bursting their banks and all the Sand Martin colonies wiped out on the Ribble at least. The garden is full of birds at present but no chance to do any ringing of them either because of the wind and rain.
At least I've managed to get the moth trap out a couple of evenings - all very instructive with some smart beasties. Four Poplar Hawk Moths so far as well as several diverse looking species that are all common but new to me.

Poplar Hawk Moth
 A business trip down to Spalding meant that I could call in on the adult White-winged Black Tern at Fairburn Ings - now that's what I call a stunning bird; the first adult I've ever seen.

The Olympic Torch Relay went through Oswaldtwistle last weekend so Bernie and I took a walk along the canal to get to a viewing point. The weather was kind to us - it didn't rain - and this pair of Mute Swans with their eight cygnets seemed to be faring well. There were anoth 9 Adult/sub-adult birds on Rishton Reservoir too so there's quite a population starting to build up.
Mute Swans and young - Leeds-Liverpool Canal, Rishton
 It was nice to hear Willow Warblers and Whitethroats still singing but the calls of Siskins from eth golf course was unexpected. And this weeked we've had at least three birds on the garden feeders so I reckon they must be feeding up some nearby young.

Later that day we had to make a trip to see the Little Swift at New Brighton - nice to get it on my Lancashire list too as it sailed over the Mersey! :)

Little Swift in the gloom over the River Mersey
The poor weather has at least enabled me to get on with my sections of the 2011 Lancs Bird Report which I've just finished. so now I'm ready to get ringing some dispersing birds. If only the weather would improve!

Comments