A morning of Spring-like weather

On Wednesday morning I awoke to blue skies and sunshine at last; still cold but I grasped my chance at getting to grips with a few more summer visitors around Stocks Reservoir before work. It was one of the nicest mornings I've ever spent there - as soon as I trundled up to the causeway I could hear the Wood Warbler that had been there for a few days. This bird gave really close views, singing continuously but I didn't have my camera of course! I just love the Wood Warbler song and managed to get a recording on my iPhone - just need to figure out a way of linking it to blogger.

Just over the wall, a pair of Redstarts cavorted in the willows whilst at least three Garden Warblers were singing. A Cuckoo could be heard in the distance and Common Sandpipers and Red-breasted Mergansers we on the shore line.

Wandering up to the hides, I came across a Grasshopper Warbler as well as lots of Willow Warblers, Reed Buntings, Redpolls & Siskins. The only waders in the inlet were LRPs and Oystercatchers but it was such a lovely morning, I just soaked up the birds and the sunshine! It was so peaceful that even teh Roe Deer were showing well and seemed not to be too bothered about my presence.

Over the weekend, I checked Brookside Lodges at Oswaldtwistle - Sedge Warblers were very much in evidence whilst I was delighted to see a Little Grebe as well as Great Crested and Coots on nests. One pair of grebes on Rishton Reservoir have built on the small section now that the water is high so with a bit of luck they should manage as I can't see it getting much drier in the coming weeks with the water table so high! Unfortunately the edge is much reduced and I haven't seeen any waders for over a week now.

Comments