Mealy Redpolls again

A leaking radiator and boiler problems meant I had to stay at home today but at least that gave me the opportunity to keep an eye on what was visiting the feeders. The gale force winds had blown one of the poles over so I braved the elements to rectify the situation and fill up the hoppers.

The top feeders were very busy for a change - lots of Chaffinches and Greenfinches early on with a single Lesser Redpoll and the ringed male Great Spotted Woodpecker paid a visit. I was upstairs when I glanced out of the window and immediately saw what I was sure was a Mealy.I dashed downstairs to grab the bins and sure enough both of the birds that we ringed on Monday were on the niger seed. One was then promptly displaced by another, unringed bird - same size, structure and colouration as the ringed ones. A few Lessers were also in attendance for some comparative views.

Anyway, it's a good excuse for another image from Monday....
First-winter male Mealy (Common) Redpoll
Anyway, once the plumber had been, I paid a visit to Rishton Reservoir, facing into the strong wind that was starting to ease a bit. there weren't too many gulls around but a few were loafing around on the west bank and at around 13:25, I noticed the juvenile Iceland Gull arrive - it was still there when I left half an hour later. there were six Cormorants and a couple of Great Crested Grebes on the water, one of which was starting to sport some breeding plumage.

Looking forward to some more Mealy watching this weekend!

Comments