Some more Fylde birding

Nipped out for a couple of hours on Sunday to try and catch up with a few 'local' scarcities. It was pouring down as I left Rishton but blue skies and sunshine greeted me at Fairhaven Lake where the Red-necked Grebe was fishing actively at the eastern end. Too far away ond rather choppy for any photos so I headed for the Ring-necked Parakeets at Lytham Cremetorium. I didn't know where they might be so I parked up outside the gates and as I got out of the car I could hear one call. I walked through the adjacent woodland to the sound of Redwings and Great Spotted Woodpeckers but it was as I emerged from the other end that I noticed four birds flying into the sun.
I was joined by a few others in search of these birds at their only regular north west haunt as far as I know. Seven were perched up in osiers next to the pond.

I headed over Lytham Moss where there were at least eight Bewicks Swans in with 20 or so Whoopers and then onto Marton Mere. A brisk walk around the perimeter to the Long-eared Owl roost was rewarded with seven of these lovely birds, but only one was anywhere near photogenic, especially facing into the sun.
I pottered around the Mere for a while before heading back via Hambleton in the vain hope that I might come across the Red-breasted Goose but to no avail. However that didn't detract from a splendid few hours birding.

Comments