First few Redwings and an East Lancs YBW

Looking east towards Pendle Hill
It's been a lovely week weather-wise - clear skies over western Britain and balmy conditions meant that migrating birds could get a wiggle on but did not tend to trouble the scorers on the ground, apart that is from a rather splendid Yellow-browed Warbler that pitched up in Burnley for three days. I was fortunate to see it on a sunny afternoon on Wednesday having spent the previous eight hours on Scout Moor where birds were flying high and straight over. This little gem provided some much needed relief for those who couldn't partake of the east coast spectacle last week and, though elusive at times, it gave some cracking views, calling regularly as well.

Saturday saw Bernie and I up at Malham Tarn for a change - a lovely walk around a place which was the site of one of my first bird-watching trips as a young teenager with my parents. I remember seeing my first Great Crested Grebe there and sure enough, one was there. A few Redwings and Fieldfare were around the place and there were plenty of Tufted Duck along with a few Goldeneye and Wigeon. With all the Great Grey Shrikes turning up, I thought it would be as good a place as any - lots of scattered bushes and wide vistas. However it seems the Waddington Fell bird is back on its stomping ground today.

Today I spent the morning around Rishton Reservoir. Absolutely flat calm and nothing save a Grey Heron and a single Great Crested Grebe. A skein of 29 pink-footed Geese heading east livened up proceedings and the first Redwings were feeding around the bushes off Cut Lane (above).

Coal Tits are extremely busy around Cut Wood and at home but one succumbed to a Sparrowhawk in the back garden this-afternoon. There is a rather poorly looking Greenfinch on the feeders toady - I suspect it is a sufferer of trichomonaisis (I think that's how it's spelt!) so I'll have to cleanse the feeders thoroughly. Bullfinches have started to become more noticeable with a male and three females today and more Chaffinches have arrived. Seems like we'll need a ringing session soon.

Comments