It's an ill wind that brings good birds!

The sound of the wind and rain hammering at the windows last night resulted in a lack of sleep - not due to the noise but the anticipation of some wind-borne waifs on the coast somewhere. I decided that I'd try Rossall Point as the wind had been in the SW, hopefully driving birds into Morecambe Bay but first I had to make a visit to Rishton Reservoir.

I swear that the rain was completely horizontal as I made my way down to the promenade. I managed to find a modicum of shelter behind my brolly as a particularly heavy downpour came across the reservoir. After fifteen minutes, the rain abated so I took the chance to see if there was anything unusual - an Arctic Tern was flying over! I watched it for all of ten seconds when the next squall hit and it appeared to move through. However, half and hour later, the bird or possibly another was present before flying off west.

Buoyed by that sight, I set off for the Fylde coast. I arrived to bright sunshine and the wind turning more into the north west so I settled down for a sea-watch that lasted two and a half hours. I managed just one Leach's Petrel and a Manx Shearwater as well as five Guillemots including this one sheltering below the sea wall.
 There didn't seen to be much else moving but with the change in the wind, birds were clearly turning up further down the coast. I decided to have a look at Leighton Moss via Conder Green where there were three Greenshanks, a Spotted Redshank, two Ruff and loads of Redshanks.

At Leighton, I was delighted to catch up with the Black Terns - an adult and two juvs - as well as the sight of the Little Egret roost building up to over 100 birds by dusk. A splendid day's birding and a precursor for some more windblown birding later in the week.

Comments