Double dip flycatchers

Well, it had to happen sooner or later - the successful twitching of lifers this year came to an abrupt end yesterday in the gale force winds of Bempton where the Brown Flycatcher had been reported earlier in the morning.

The day started off quite well as I strolled around Rishton Reservoir, noting a reduction in the Meadow Pipit numbers but delighted to see two Yellow Wagtails with a few Pied as well as a flock of 28 Linnets. Swallows and House Martins are still present and a Willow Warbler fed in the bushes.
Willow Warbler, Rishton Res
I got back to unexpectedly hear that the Brown Flycatcher had been seen. I missed the one three years ago placing my (misguided) loyalty to work so to get an opportunity to see this species whose name belies what seems to be a distinctive bird, was most welcome. Unfortunately, everyone else had seen the 2007 one so I drove to the east coast again on my tod.

I wasn't until I'd got to the dell where it had been when I was informed that it had only been seen once and that "it disappeared after the ringer put his net up". I must admit to feel rather aggrieved at this news, if it were correct, as in my experience, the wind was far too strong for mist netting in an exposed position. There were birds in there - two hours of scanning revealed at least a couple of Willow Warblers, Garden Warbler, two Pied Flycatchers and a Redstart - everything was keeping its head down and so the bird could have still been there but with nothing seen for seven hours, I decided to head back to the car park.

Of course, all the discussion then goes on to whether the bird was present at all in the first place or was the bird one of those that departed the scene when the net went up. It's easy to blame the ringer, but it is his regular spot and he'd apparently asked permission of the crowd assembled there. I think it was an error of judgement in all honesty.

At least I could enjoy the Gannets on the way back.

Back at the car park, there was news of a Red-breasted Flycatcher but that, too, evaded me. Several nice Pied Fly's and a territorial Spottted Fly as well as Redstart, Willow & Garden Warbler. This may certainly have been more of mistaken identity but you never know.

The trip back would have been great if it were not for the A59 being closed in Harrogate but the overnight rain should have brought something down. Locally this morning, there was just one Yellow Wagtail at Rishton Res and hardly any Meadow Pipits. Up at Parsonage Res, a Greenshank was flushed by a Sparrowhawk but with ten Black Terns at nearby Longridge, there weren't any here. I'll try again this-afternoon when the showers start moving through.

And the dipping didn't stop there. I eventually succumbed to the Black Terns only to find they weren't there at 2pm and when I got to Brockholes for the Osprey, that had departed 20 minutes earlier. Grrrrr. Well better to get it out of the way now - I'll check the res before the England match!


Popular posts from this blog

Bulgaria May 2018, part 2

A bit of late autumn birding around Toronto

Eastern Bulgaria May 2018 Part 1