White-tailed Lapwing/Plover at Seaforth

After a morning surveying Lapwings, the news of this White-tailed Lapwing was one hell of a bonus! I was just finishing my second visit of the morning when the bews came through. It was a little like deja vu as I had been in virtually the same spot ten years ago when the news of a Blackpoll Warbler at Seaforth was received.

Anyway, after a quick check with Billy to see if it was still there, I set off for the M6 and a second visit to Seaforth in a week.

As I pulled up, Steve White was playing the car attendant role with a beam from ear to ear having resisted the temptation to twitch the one at Leighton Moss a couple of years ago. And he was right to be smiling - what a bird! It performed in front of the screen to the right of hide A allowing me (and others) to get some decent shots. The scene was a world away from the frantic, jostling crowds at Caerlaverock though I pity those without permits as they cut a forlorn sight behind the fence looking at little more than a dot to them.

Anyway, here are a few images to drool over.

Off to pack now for a week of birdless R&R in France - well maybe there will be one or two things around.

Comments