First juvenile of the year

Yesterday I took a quick trip to Rishton Reservoir where I had my first Swifts of the year - 8 screaming overhead along with several hirundines. A Blackcap was singing, another new arrival, along with an increase in the Willow Warbler population.

A Common Sandpiper 'sang' over the water near the promenade and a pair of Little Ringed Plovers was on the far bank again (now that there were no fishermen).

I needed to go over to set up a computer at my Mum's in Ainsdale so that meant a call in at Marshside beforehand. But try as I might, I just could not find the Dowitcher on the marsh - it came along later I believe and was there this morning. Still,, my first Reed Warblers and Whitethroats were singing around me.

Today, the Jays have been coming to the garden more regularly and we had our first juvenile Blackbird of the year feeding in the freshly hoed border. The first Lesser Redpoll in ages came to the feeders and the Greenfinches are displaying in the back garden. There's plenty of other activity with at least four Robin territories crossing the garden.

Comments