American Wigeon

I had a couple of hours before Rovers midday kick-off so I headed to Banks Marsh in the vain hope that I might find the Dowitcher again. There was a good flock of Black-tailed Godwits as usual together with several Dunlin and the usual supporting cast of Redshanks and Curlews but no matter where I searched, I couldn't find the target bird. A flock of around 150 Golden Plover took flight as did the blackwits but there was still no sign.

The distant, snow-capped mountains of the Lake District looked impressive as a backdrop to the assembling Black-headed Gull colony far out on the marsh. A large flock of Meadow Pipits fed in field just inland and the skylarks were giving it plenty.

From here I nipped over to Martin Mere where I was more successful with teh American Wigeon. This splendid male was a little too far away for my SLR but at least I got a blog record shot as it fed with the flock of Eurasian Wigeon. Sixteen Avocets sat on the pool and the few Ruff included a very small bird.
Needless to say I was rather disappointed with the Rovers result but it's Chelsea next week so an easy three points there!

Comments

Post a Comment