Some more excellent winter birds


The sun was shining again this-morning so I decided to try and find the Water Pipit down at Girvan Harbour and get some images of it - which, as you can see above, I eventually managed to do. It was still chasing the Rock Pipits around as it defended its patch of shore-line.

On to Dipple and there were three Black-throated Divers and two Razorbills offshore as well as plenty of Eider, Goldeneye and Wigeon. A few Grey Seals bobbed offshore.

I decided that it would be a good time to visit Loch Ryan so I headed south, stopping briefly at Lendalfoot where there were around 1000 Herring Gulls and a few Greater Black-backs in the fields or on the shore. A Merlin zoomed across the road near Cairnryan.


The rafts of Scaup were quite close to the shore with several Brent Geese in amongst them. There were loads of Goldeneye, Red-breasted Mergansers, Eiders and Wigeon along with Mallard, a few Tufted Ducks and Common Scoter. As I pulled in at Bishop Burn, a large flock of gulls came in and I immediately picked out a 2nd winter Med Gull in amongst the Black-headeds. A few moments later I was amazed to see a 2nd winter Iceland Gull on the water at the back of the Herring Gulls.


Frustrated that I hadn't seen any Slavonian Grebes, I made my way round to Wig Bay where I found one along with three Long-tailed Ducks and 250 Greylag Geese. From there I went looking for more Geese around West Freugh and quite quickly found a good flock of Greylags and a few White-fronted Geese in the distance. I could hear Pinkfeet and around five minutes later around 3000 took to the air. I came accross another flock of 100 Greenland White-fronts whilst Ravens croaked overhead as a fine end to the day's birding.

Comments