Rishton Reservoir 29th Dec

With reports of the Black-necked Grebe coming past the promenade yesterday, I headed out to the reservoir in the bitterly cold east wind and the oncoming gloom. There were plenty of birds again, and most pleasingly the two Great Crested Grebes had returned.

Three drake Shovelers and eight Tufted Ducks sailed out from the yacht club briefly. Fifteen teal were perched up on the dam wall whilst seven Goosander and 17 Cormorants fished the reservoir. Most obvious was a site record count of 299 Canada Geese on the far bank along with 120 Lapwing, 300 Starling and 16 Coot.

It took a while but I eventually located the Black-necked Grebe in the far corner again and patiently watched it as it dived repeatedly, making its way down to the yacht club where I lost it. I kept my fingers crossed that it would do a circuit and 20 minutes later I was delighted when it popped up jst to the left of the promenade. It rapidly made its way past me towards the overflow at which time I rattled off some dark, fuzzy images.


What a lovely bird!

Comments

  1. Great photo's Dave, better than my efforts when one was at Brockholes earlier in the year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment