A quiet local weekend

With the pressure systems over Britain all a bit of a mess, not a lot was happening in our local area. On Saturday morning, the fog was thick and I thought I'd have a look at Rishton Res only to find that they were shooting geese again - however I couldn't see the far bank so goodness knows what they were taking out. I decided to work in the garden and hope for some migratory movement overhead but even here ut was rather benign.

I took a break in the 'obs' and got a few nice images like this Greenfinch but when I left, a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers landed right next to the shed.

We are occasionally getting Bullfinches back in the garden and double figure flocks of Goldfinches that are probably moving through, but there's no sign of any Redpolls yet.

I nipped up to Parsonage Reservoir in the afternoon. Two Little Grebes and 63 Canada Geese were on the smaller marshy part whilst on the main reservoir there was just two drake Tufted Ducks. Just about summed up the day! At least I heard a Redwing over the house on Saturday night.

Today I've been down to Rishton Res again and got absolutely drenched. The rain came at me horizontally. In a brief respite, I managed to see the usual four Grebes, two Teal and five Cormorants. There were a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the far bank again and around 15 Lapwings, but still nothing overhead.

Late on in the afternoon, I went to check Parsonage Res but there was even less that yesterday. I took a quick trip to Brockholes to finish off the day. A couple of Scaup were actively feeding whilst the Tufted Duck just dozed away. There was a good selection of ducks here; Gadwall, Teal, Shoveler and a single Pintail  were all very nice but an eclipse drake Garganey stole the show.

Comments