Rishton area 14 June

Another weekend morning and another atlas square to complete. This time I was a bit closer to home doing the area between Rishton and Blackburn. Another lovely day, I decided to do this one from my bike in order to cover as much ground as I could.
It started off well with a family of Pied Wagtails and many young Tits and Thrushes exploring their new found world. Things were quiet at the Reservoir - no fishermen but they've done the damage already. A Curlew and Oystercatcher called on the far bank - I suspect the former has chicks in the long grass. That's one thing that's surprised me this spring, the number of fields that haven't been cut for silage. I wonder if that's to do with the reduction in the farming of the land. The meadows are full of wild flowers and are looking splendid - unfortunately few birds but if treated like this for a few years, things could be on the up!
There were a surprising number of Whitethroats around and then I could hear a Grasshopper Warbler from one of the meadows - fantastic. Not only that, but a family of Redd Buntings being fed by the parents. I was really happy now and the Whitebirk Sedge Warbler sat out and performed wnonderfully - I wonder if it has a mate?
Back home, the Redpolls had returned now that I'd purchased some more Niger seed and young Greenfinches hogged the feeder by the shed. My first young Goldfinch of the year also put in an appearance.

Comments