Bank holiday birding

Sunday was another lovely day so Bernie and I set off for a local walk around Roddlesworth Woods. Tree Pipits were singing close to the car park but the rest of the woods were surprisingly quiet. Just a few of what you might expect to be there. I only heard a single Blackcap!
As we started to return from Upper Roddlesworth Reservoir, I heard the distinctive song of a Wood Warbler - a beautiful bird and a lovely song.
After a bacon butty at the cafe, we headed off to get some garden supplies but a message from Billy told us of a Smew at Black Moss, just below Pendle. So, with the car laden with all sorts, we headed for Pendle and soon found the female Smew on the far bank of the reservoir. I can't remember when I last saw a Smew in Lancashire let alone East Lancs; they're becoming rather scarce these days.
Back to the garden and a couple of Redpolls (unringed) are coming to the niger seed still and today (Monday) a male Siskin again. The Blackbirds are busy nest building in the conifer at the front and I'm still seeing several ringed birds around. However, I've seen no ringed Gold or Greenfinches for months.

Comments