Some 'local' birds

Cut Wood - October 18th - leaves are starting to fall.
A cold north-west wind blew across the waters of Rishton Reservoir this morning and the first Redwings I've seen this autumn passed overhead with their characteristic high pitched calls giving away their imminent presence. I've seen a large flock of Canada Geese on the fields as I go to work but have had little opportunity to count them. They were very obliging today - 228 at least with some on the Reservoir and some on the field above the small res (as in the photo).There were eight Great Crested Grebes on the Reservoir including at least four of this year's juveniles. A flock of 45 Lapwings on the far bank was put up by a passing Sparrowhawk.
It was then off to see my mum in Ainsdale and check some of my old haunts when I was a teenager (all those years ago!)
Driving along the coast road I was accompanied by a Little Egret - you certainly never saw them thirty years ago. I called in a tthe Sands Lake at Ainsdale where the usual crew of Gulls were present along with over 150 Mallard and a few Tufted Ducks.
I then decided to have a quick reccy along Plex Moss to see if there were any geese. There were, but they were rather distant on the windswept mosses. This vast flat landscape of my birding youth is quite different to the one I now live in. Still, it rains just as hard here as it does at home. There were very few birds showing - three Buzzards (another bird not seen in my youth in these parts) and a few Kestrels were the only thnigs in the air apart from a few crows and 5000 Pink-footed Geese.

Comments