Having a whale of a time

Arran from Girvan

Sunday morning saw me at Turnberry - far too early for the golfers but just in time to watch the Manx Shearwaters passing in their droves. I was watching a group of Gannets when suddenly this fin appears out of the water (at least a mile away). I excitedly trained my scope on the area and was rewarded with the huge bulk and fin of a Minke whale three times in five minutes as it made its way UP the Clyde between me and Arran - absolutely fantastic.
A couple of juvenile Wheatears popped up and then everything was spooked first by a Sparrowhawk and then by a Peregrine. One of the Knot on the rocks still had its orangy plumage and the Trunstones were still in their summer finery.
More medals ensued!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December Thrushes bring 2016 to a stupendous finale

A short break in Nerja, Andalucia

Greenish Warbler in Lancashire