Definitely NOT a Pink Stink

Well it's been an eventful few days in the Lancashire birding scene. I was fortunate to get to see the Melodious Warbler at Jackhouse Reservoir last Friday before work - I was there early but not as early as some! At the time it was thought to be an Icterine because of the obvious wing panel but after some puzzling, the rest of the features pointed to Melodious. This bird had been singing for two weeks before the news got out and checking its song against recordings, it was definitely more like Melodious. Thereafter there was a lot of controversy as the bird was trapped, ringed and released never to be seen again!
Fortunately, I was not there as we had a weekend in Girvan. The King Eider had long gone but I really enjoyed sitting in the living room looking out at Ailsa Craig and the fishing Gannets and Sandwich Terns. A Black Guillemot off shore was the first I'd seen there in over 15 years of visiting.
Today we'd been fumigating Heather's room whilst she was away on Duke of Edinburgh business when a reminder came up about an adult Rose-coloured Starling at St Annes. This just had to be seen so a forty minute drive and I was outside the house where it had been seen. I joined a few others in the back garden and the bird came down obligingly after half an hour or so.

Now back to the tennis!

Comments