Wood Warbler

I couldn't sleep so I decided that a quick tour of the local reservoirs might yield something. There was drizzle in the air, a shame after such a nice day on Saturday, but that could mean something unexpectedly dropping in. Well there was zilch on Rishton Reservoir apart from the two nesting pairs of Great-crested Grebes - the reservoir is full and so there's no edge to tempt down a passing wader. Willow Warblers, Blackcaps and Whitethroat were singing but that seemed to be all that was new. I headed to Parsonage Reservoir where there was even less - apart from Bill Berry who had just got a message that there was a Wood Warbler down at Cut Wood - well I didn't hear it when I was there. So it was back to Rishton where I listened intently for quite a while but with no joy. We spread the search and soon I could hear that lovely trilling song. I summoned Bill over and we enjoyed a very active Wood Warbler, feeding and singing.... then the phone rang - work - b...! 
Later that day I visited the marshy area around Whitebirk where two recently arrived Sedge Warblers were singing competitively.

Comments