Back to Census work

At last! A fine weekend morning to get out and do the BTO Atlas work. I decided to do both tetrads in one go so it was going to be a 4 hour session of pretty much non-stop walking and counting. My hip had held up pretty well last weekend when I decided two Dotterel at the top of Pendle could not be missed - it took me twice as long as it used to but they were there and so was I. I also got Ring Ouzel, Peregrine and a few other goodies. Anyway, it was all calm at 6am as I worked my way through the housing estate, past the golf club (Linnet and Whitethroat here) and onto Cowhill where the Skylarks were singing and a few Wheatears were stopping off on migration.
Most of the birds were pretty much as I expected, a Little Owl at Plowtalgh was not unexpected - I've suspected them being there for some time. Dippers were on the river and a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers decided to get down to brass tacks on a bare branch in front of me - how brazen!
A House Martin and a Swift finally put in an appearance (they're so late this year). I was pretty tired as I collapsed into the house at 10:30 but had enjoyed my long walk immensely - I really should do it more often!

Comments