Another rare gull

I got a call from Tony D regarding whether I wanted to do a Bird Race on Sunday - a bit short notice. Having been out of the bird-race scene for 12 years I decided to have a go and busily started to plan a route based on our routes all those years ago. I was full of good intentions about getting an early night when, at 8pm, I got a message about a Bonaparte's Gull on Stocks Reservoir. I missed the one in Burnley several years ago as I was away so this had to be twitched. Half and hour later I joined four others at the island viewpoint and picked up the Little Gull and a few Med's in amongst the throng of Black-head's. The bird had flown from its original place and hadn't been seen for a while when Mike refound it. We enjoyed pretty good views considering the distance and light (thanks for letting me use your super-scope, Margaret!). A dainty little thing with a darker mantle than BHG and a pale grey shawl over the shoulders. It eventually took flight and made it's way back to the inlet - relief!
Now it was back home and try to get a few hours shut-eye before the trauma's Sunday would bring. Three roding Woodcock flew over the car as I made my way back home.

Comments